Ph.D. (1981) Psychology Arizona State University
My research examines the role of motivation and self-regulation in work and achievement settings. Past projects include work on how goals affect resource allocation during learning and performance and the role of self-regulation in job search and reemployment following job loss. Recent projects focus on three topics: motivational dynamics over time, the influence of adult development and change on motivation and self-regulation, and motivation in and of teams. As co-director of the GT PARK Lab, we conduct longitudinal and large-scale laboratory and field projects that examine personality, intellectual, and affective determinants of learning and performance to address use-inspired issues in personnel selection, training, work performance,and worker well-being.
- Beier, M. E., LoPilato, A. C., & Kanfer, R. (2018). Successful motivational aging at work: Antecedents and retirement-related outcomes. Work, Aging, and Retirement. doi:10.1093/workar/wax034
- Kooij, D. T. A. M., Kanfer, R., Betts, M., & Rudolph, C. (2018, In Press). Future time perspective: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Heckhausen, J., Shane, J., & Kanfer, R. (2017). Competence and motivation at work throughout adulthood: Making the most of changing capacities and opportunities. In A. Elliot, C. S. Dweck, & D. Yeager (Eds.), Handbook of Competence and Motivation: Theory and Application (2nd Edition; pp. 449-470). NY: Guilford Press.
- Wanberg, C. R., Kanfer, R., Hamann, D. J., & Zhang, Z. (2015). Age and reemployment success after job loss: An integrative model and meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/bul0000019.
- Kanfer, R. (2015). Employment Transitions in Late Adulthood. In L. Finkelstein, D. Truxillo, F. Fraccaroli, & R. Kanfer (Eds.), (2015). Facing the Challenges of a Multi-Age Workforce. A Use-Inspired Approach. NY: Psychology Press.
- Kooij, D., Bal, P. M., & Kanfer, R. (2014). Future time perspective and promotion focus as determinants of intra-individual change in work motivation. Psychology and Aging, 29, 319-328.